All Weeks Communication in the 21st Century Workplace Coursera Quiz Answers
Communication in the 21st Century Workplace Week 1 Quiz Answers
Quiz 1: Review
Q1. What is one of the most effective verbal communication techniques?
- Making time.
- Listening actively.
- Defending your point of view.
- Using appropriate grammar.
Q2. What is the most effective response to someone who overly belabors or over-explains a topic?
- Look around impatiently.
- Politely interrupt and ask them to summarize.
- Summarize what you heard.
- Repeat back exactly what you heard.
Q3. To be an effective communicator, which of these should you avoid? (select all that apply)
- Not maintaining eye contact.
- Using jargon.
- Using a person’s first name.
Q4. Communication conducted outside of your organization is called:
- Outside communication.
- Synthesized communication.
- External communication.
- Public communication.
Q5. What is the first step in conflict resolution?
- Set the scene.
- Identify the problem.
- Agree upon the problem.
- Discuss the problem.
Communication in the 21st Century Workplace Week 2 Quiz Answers
Quiz 2: Review
Q1. There is more motivation for in-person vs. virtual interactions when:
- You haven’t seen your manager in several weeks.
- You want to highlight content on a document.
- You want to introduce a colleague.
- You need to resolve a major problem more efficiently.
Q2. Which of these is one way in which non-verbal cues can be misconstrued?
- Misinterpreting fist pounding for anger.
- Assuming someone is in a hurry when they walk briskly.
- Being confused by verbal expressions that do not match facial expressions.
- Feeling pressure to talk faster when recipient looks bored.
Q3. How is social media related to communicating with your manager?
- Managers need to be engaged using social media.
- Your manager may communicate with you using social media.
- You should understand how your manager prefers to use social media.
- You should understand your manager’s attitude towards social media.
Q4. How soon after uncovering an issue in the workplace that will have negative repercussions should you notify your manager?
- As soon as possible.
- Once you understand and assess the impact.
- At your next one-on-one meeting.
- You shouldn’t notify your manager.
Q5. What is one effective technique to use during verbal communication with your boss so they will listen?
- Meet behind closed doors.
- Stand while making your business case.
- Invite others to support you.
- Be attuned to how much information they want.
Communication in the 21st Century Workplace Week 3 Quiz Answers
Quiz 3 : Review
Q1. Given typical executive communication preferences, what is one of the most important things you should consider in advance of communicating?
- How to catch them when they are in the office.
- How to convince them in 10 seconds or less.
- How to present less detail than you would typically appreciate.
- How to communicate with them during business travel.
Q2. What key rule of written communication should you consider if communicating in writing with an executive?
- Make it easy for them to read fast.
- Make sure your paragraphs start with the key point.
- Make your writing entertaining.
- Make presentations using multiple colors.
Q3. What language should you use in verbal and written communication with an executive?
- Clear, concise English.
- Plain and simple language that anyone can understand.
- Jargon that demonstrates your strong knowledge of the business.
- Business language that speaks directly to their needs and the customer impact.
Q4. A recommended solution to a problem is especially valued by an executive because:
- They do not have the time to come up with their own solution.
- They are more likely to get involved if the legwork has already been completed.
- They want to see if you make good recommendations.
- They want to compare your solution to others.
Q5. This effective technique for overcoming limited executive availability is underutilized:
- Sending repeated emails.
- Strolling by the executive’s office to catch them coming out of a meeting.
- Joining someone else’s meeting.
- Developing a relationship with the executive’s assistant.
Communication in the 21st Century Workplace Week 4 Quiz Answers
Quiz 4 : Review
Q1. This is one way you can be the type of communicative leader that strengthens relationships:
- Restate verbal communication.
- Use multiple communication techniques.
- Appeal to the business interests of the team.
- Forge a personal connection through communication.
Q2. What is one benefit to communicating strategically with direct reports?
- Moving the business forward strategically.
- Becoming a well-liked leader.
- Building strong, trusting relationships.
- Showing your direct reports your leadership capability.
Q3. What technique should you use to signal that you are trying to understand?
- Say “help me understand.”
- Ask “why” using a neutral tone and demeanor.
- Nod vehemently.
- Maintain consistent eye contact.
Q4. Managing conflict with a team is different than with an individual because:
- Team conflicts can be easily resolved through virtual communication.
- The leader can quickly step in and resolve the conflict.
- The leader must offer the team members a supportive opportunity to first address the conflict themselves.
- Team members have multiple perspectives.
Q5. Using technology for collaborative communication allows a leader to:
- Increase productivity.
- Distribute assignments quickly.
- Spend more time in their office.
- Avoid face to face meetings.