Get Modern Art & Ideas Coursera Quiz Answers
Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society.
Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources.
Modern Art & Ideas Week 01 Quiz Answers
Q1. The Starry Night is based only on Vincent van Gogh’s direct observations of the landscape in Saint-Rémy.
Q2. In painting The Persistence of Memory, Salvador Dalí drew imagery from which of the following sources? Select all that apply.
- His dreams
- His subconscious
- Streetlife in Barcelona
- His memories of the Catalonian coastline
Q3. Why did Hippolyte Blancard photograph the Eiffel Tower1 point
- To capture the making of a symbol of a rapidly changing city
- To fight for its preservation
- To promote his career as a photographer
Q4. Bernd and Hilla Becher grouped their photographs by building type in orderly grids to reveal subtle differences within each architectural category.
Q5. Louis I. Kahn’s Sher-e-Bangla Nagar was commissioned by the government of which of the following countries?
- United States of America
Q6. Some have interpreted the crisscrossing lines in Norman Lewis’s City Night as _________. (Select all that apply.)
- Laundry lines
- Power lines
- Ocean waves
Q7. In Home is a Foreign Place, Zarina uses which of the following to illustrate the idea of disappearing language?
- Musical score
- Ceiling fan
- Window frame
- Crescent moon
Q8. In Three Gorges Dam Migration, Yun-Fei Ji subverts the typically serene images of classical Chinese landscape painting by inserting realistic renderings of hardship that resulted from the dam construction.
Q9. Which technique did Rachel Whiteread use to make Water Tower?
- Cast of a water tower
- Built from wood and stone
- Watercolor on paper
Q10. What did Gordon Matta-Clark call the practice through which he drew attention to non-functional or overlooked buildings, architectural sites, and spaces?
Quiz : Weekly Reflection
Q1. Reflect on what you learned this week. What did you learn that was new or surprising? Did any of the artworks resonate with you? Did your perspective on any of the artworks change by looking at them through this week’s theme? (There is no right answer for this question. This prompt is for your own reflection and benefit.)
Modern Art & Ideas Week 02 Quiz Answers
Q1. In Untitled (Runaways), Glenn Ligon demonstrated the following about identity. Select all that apply.
- It can be influenced by the past
- It can be influenced by other people’s perceptions of you
- Is only based on physical appearance
Q2. Andy Warhol based Gold Marilyn Monroe on a publicity photograph to highlight the difference between how the public sees celebrities and who they really are.
Q3. Which of the following elements in Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair convey Frida Kahlo’s separation from her husband, artist Diego Rivera? Select all that apply.
- Cropped hair
- Lyrics from a Mexican folksong
- A yellow chair
Q4. I and the Village is based on Marc Chagall’s memories of growing up in a Hasidic Jewish village in Belarus.
Q5. What is the primary element Henri Matisse uses in The Red Studio to represent his identity?
- The color red
- The grandfather clock
- Depictions of his own works of art
Q6. What may be seen as a metaphor for Almerisa’s transformation from an immigrant child to an adult Dutch citizen in Rineke Dijkstra’s portrait series? Select all that apply
- The increasingy large scale of the photographs
- Almerisa’s clothing
- The chairs in which Almerisa sits
Q7. Free, White and 21 refers to a character in Howardena Pindell’s video who represents the racism the artist experienced coming of age as a black woman in America.
Q8. Ellen Gallagher uses vintage advertisements aimed at black audiences in Deluxe in order to critique their messages about identity and self-improvement. What are some of these messages? Select all that apply.
- Wigs can effectively recast your appearance
- You can have a better career by enrolling in nursing school
- Skin-lightening cream leads to improved complexion
Q9. In Art Make-up, Bruce Nauman applies white, green, and black pigment to his face and body and pink pigment to his lips only.
Q10. The title of Kara Walker’s drawing 40 Acres of Mules refers to the undelivered promise given to emancipated slaves.
Modern Art & Ideas Week 03 Quiz Answers
Q1. After completing a successful line of fur-covered jewelry, Meret Oppenheim developed a line of fur-covered dinnerware for sale in local Parisian boutiques.
Q2. Robert Rauschenberg stated that he was operating in the gap between art and life. Which of the following demonstrate this? Select all that apply.
- He combines elements of painting and sculpture
- The fact that he displayed Bed horizontally on the floor, like an actual bed
- His use of found objects as well as art materials
Q3. Louise Nevelson used lumber from her local hardware store in her sculpture, Sky Cathedral.
Q4. Jessica Rosenkrantz and Jesse Louis-Rosenberg’s Kinematics Dress was designed as a mass-produced item that anyone could wear.
Q5. Mike Kelley used hand- sewn, hand made objects intended to be given away in order to:
- Practice his sewing and knitting skills
- Present a contrast to the look of brand new, mass-manufactured objects
- Save money when producing his artworks
Q6. The first ballpoint pen was invented by the French company, Bic.
Q7. Tom Wesselmann incorporated an array of real world materials into his mixed media painting, Still Life #30.
- A framed reproduction of a Picasso painting
- Clippings from advertisements
- A refrigerator door
- All of the above
Q8. Tomas Gabzdil Libertíny used a prototyping machine to create his series of Honeycomb Vases.
Q9. In assessing useful objects to add to the museum’s collection, MoMA curators look at form, beauty, and function.
Q10. Betye Saar once said that she considered windows to represent a means of traveling from one level of consciousness to another.
Modern Art & Ideas Week 04 Quiz Answers
Q1. Martha Rosler combined which of the following to create her series, House Beautiful: Bringing the War Home? Select all that apply.
- Advertisements from magazines that were popular at the time
- Images of the conflict in Vietnam
- Clippings from newspapers depicting the Korean War
Q2. Which of the following is true about Felix Gonzales-Torres’ Untitled (Perfect Lovers)?
- It was created in a time where the HIV/AIDS epidemic was greatly affecting American society
- It incorporates simple imagery including candy and light bulbs
- It’s a comment on rampant consumerism in American
Q3. To make Migration Series, Jacob Lawrence used a consistent set of paint colors to make the 60 panels feel like a unit, like one work.
Q4. Which of the following is true about Dorothea Lange’s Migrant Mother? Select all that apply.
- The identity of the mother appearing in the photograph has never been discovered
- The closeness of Lange’s framing helps to give the image its power
- It was taken during the Great Depression in America
Q5. Through the imagery in Candied, Shahzia Sikander implies a story but does not provide a specific narrative.
Q6. Michael Rakowitz’s paraSITE homeless shelters are affordable because they are mass-produced.
Q7. Ernst Ludwig Kirchner responded to or represented which of the following in Street, Dresden?
- The frenetic pace of contemporary life
- The feelings of isolation and loneliness that can exist even when in the midst of a crowd of people
- The industrial, technological, and intellectual innovations of modernity
- All of the above
Q8. How does Kerry James Marshall’s central figure in Untitled (policeman) complicate the issue of police shootings in America? Select all that apply.
- He stands as a reminder that many black people serve in the police force
- He is black
- He is a portrait of a prominent member of the Black Panthers
Q9. Steven Pinker argues that because we are primates and thereby largely visual beings, translating complex relationships—including the various costs of over-imprisonment illustrated in the Million Dollar Blocks project—into visual formats helps us to understand them.
Q10. Carolyn Lanchner argues that Jasper Johns’s Flag collapses the difference between reality and illusion.
Modern Art & Ideas Course Review:
In our experience, we suggest you enroll in Modern Art & Ideas courses and gain some new skills from Professionals completely free and we assure you will be worth it.
Modern Art & Ideas course is available on Coursera for free, if you are stuck anywhere between a quiz or a graded assessment quiz, just visit Networking Funda to get Modern Art & Ideas Coursera Quiz Answers.
I hope this Modern Art & Ideas Coursera Quiz Answers would be useful for you to learn something new from this Course. If it helped you then don’t forget to bookmark our site for more Quiz Answers.
This course is intended for audiences of all experiences who are interested in learning about new skills in a business context; there are no prerequisite courses.