Week 01: Creating Toolpaths for a CNC Lathe Quiz Answers
Quiz 01: Pre-course questions
Q1. How familiar are you with turning operations and practices?
- I am not familiar with machining operations or practices.
- I think I have heard of this or a similar concept.
- I am familiar with manual turning only.
- I am familiar with manual and CNC turning.
Q2. Are you familiar with the term C-axis?
- I am not familiar with the term.
- I am familiar with the term and understand its application on a CNC Lathe.
- I have heard the term, but I am not certain what it means.
- I think I have heard of this or a similar concept.
Q3. What best describes your knowledge of current manufacturing technologies? (example: 3D printing, Injection Molding, CNC Machining, Swiss Mills)
- I have a deep knowledge in some methods of manufacture.
- I have no knowledge about manufacturing methods.
- I am familiar with most of today’s methods of manufacture.
- I can identify types of manufacturing but have no further knowledge in the subject.
Q4. What best describes your current level of knowledge with direct editing models in Fusion 360?
- I have been using Fusion 360 for some time and have a good understanding of direct modeling tools.
- I am new to Fusion 360 and CAD in general and don’t know what direct editing is.
- I have been using Fusion 360 for a little while but have knowledge in other CAD programs with this functionality.
- I have no prior knowledge using Fusion 360.
Q5. What best describes your level of interest in programming CNC Lathes?
- Extremely interested.
- Moderately interested.
- Some interest but I am really looking forward exploring.
- Little to no interest in the subject matter.
Creating Toolpaths for a CNC Lathe Week 04 Quiz Answers
Quiz 01: Final test
Q1. Which of the following settings for a Turning Groove toolpath can be modified to cut internal features of a part?
- Set the Turning Mode to Outside Grooving in the Tool tab
- Set the Turning Mode to Inside Grooving in the Tool tab
- Set Grooving to Allow radial and axial grooving in the Passes tab
- Set Grooving to Don’t allow grooving
Q2. Which option in a Turning Part toolpath can be used to add a fillet or chamfer to the back edge of the part?
- Transfer Stock
- Use Pecking
- Edge Break
- Make Sharp Corners
Q3. When configuring a Turning Single Groove toolpath, which of the following Groove Side Alignment settings will offset the tool in the negative Z direction from the selected Groove Position?
Q4. When creating a Turning Groove toolpath for a model with several grooves, how can the geometry for only one groove be selected?
- Adjust the Front and Back planes to extend from Model Front to Model Back
- Only a Turning Single Groove toolpath can be used for this purpose
- Adjust the Front and Back planes to extend from Stock Front to Stock Back
- Adjust the Front and Back planes to sandwich only the target groove
Q5. Which option in the Simulate tool will pause the simulation of toolpaths if the tool gouges material?
- Stock > Stop on collision
- Toolpath > Show Points
- Stock > Transparent
- Tool > Programmed Point
Q6 .Why should the position of the Chuck in the Setup be offset away from the back of the model?
- To reduce the amount of material that needs to be machined
- To allow access for a Turning Part operation when separating the finished part
- To decrease the distance the tool needs to travel during a tool change
- To reduce the distance the secondary spindle has to travel during a transfer
Q7. What effect does the Use Pecking option in a Turning toolpath have?
- The tool performs a finishing pass for each step
- The tool retracts along the approach path for each step
- Use Pecking cannot be used in a Turning toolpath, only a Drill toolpath
- The tool retracts and returns to the model origin for each step
Q8. Which of the following describes the motion of the tool for an OD Turning Profile Roughing operation when the Passes Cycle is set to Vertical Passes?
- Tool cuts from centerline toward the outside
- Tool cuts from the back side of the stock towards the front side
- Tool cuts from outside toward the centerline
- Tool cuts from front side of the stock towards the back side
Q9. Where in the Edit tool dialog can the width of an OD Grooving tool be modified?
- Holder > Head length
- Insert > Width
- Insert > Thickness
- Holder > Shank width
Q10. When creating a Turning Thread toolpath, which setting can be used to define how much of the selected face is machined?
- Geometry > Confinement
- Passes > Tolerance
- Passes > Thread Depth
- Linking > Approach Z
Q11. Which setting for a Turning Chamfer toolpath can be used to reduce the distance the tool pulls back from the part between each step?
- Adjust the Inner Radius Offset in the Radii tab
- Adjust the Retract Offset in the Radii tab
- Adjust the Tolerance in the Passes tab
- Adjust the Chamfer Extension in the Passes tab
Q12. Which of the following should be used to tap an on-axis hole for a part being machined on a CNC lathe?
- Milling > Drilling > Drill
- Turning > Turning Part
- Milling > 2D > Circular
- Turning > Turning Thread
Q13. When drilling holes located off-axis for C-axis drilling operations, which of the following is a requirement?
- Live tooling that enables the tool to spin
- A drill bit with a shoulder length shorter than the hole depth
- Off-axis holes cannot be machined on a CNC lathe using C-axis drilling operations
- A secondary spindle that can enable stock transfer
Q14. To create a toolpath pattern, where is the New Pattern command found?
- The Turning dropdown menu
- The Setup dropdown menu
- The Drilling dropdown menu
- The Manage dropdown menu
Q15. When drilling an on-axis hole on a CNC lathe, which of the following is defined by the spindle speed value?
- The velocity of the drill bit in the positive Z-direction
- The velocity of the chips being discarded from the part
- The rotational speed of the stock or part in the chuck
- The rotational speed of the drill bit itself
Q16. Which of the following Cycle Types for a Drill operation retracts the tool completely out of the hole?
- Break through
- Counterboring – dwell and rapid out
- Deep drilling – full retract
- Chip breaking – partial retract
Q17. Which side of the part does a Turning Face toolpath machine?
- All faces with holes
- All flat faces of the part
- Only the back face of the part
- Only the front face of the part
Q18. For an operation that is intended to rough and finish a part, which of the following options should be disabled?
- Make Sharp Corners
- Stock to Leave
- Rest Machining
Q19. When a tap is selected as the tool to be used in a new Drill operation, what happens to the Cycle Type?
- The Cycle Type is automatically set to Break through
- The Cycle Type is automatically set to Chip breaking – partial retract
- The Cycle Type is automatically set to Thread milling
- The Cycle Type is automatically set to Tapping
Q20. For a part that requires internal threads produced via a tapping operation, why should the hole be drilled some amount deeper than the depth of the tapping toolpath?
- To improve the accuracy of the thread geometry
- To prevent the tap from bottoming out and breaking
- To reduce the wear on the cutting edges of the tap
- To prevent excessive burrs from forming
Q21. What is the Safe Z value?
- The distance of the tool from either the front or back of the model at which the tool starts and ends each operation
- The distance of the tool from either the front or back of the stock at which the tool starts and ends each operation
- The rotational speed of the spindle
- The speed with which the tool travels in the Z-direction
Q22. When creating a Pattern, which Operation Order setting should be selected to machine all occurrences of a single operation before moving to the next operation?
- Order by tool
- Preserve order
- Order by operation
- Order selected
Q23. When using the Simulate tool, which Colorization option will indicate regions of the part that have gouged material?
Q24. What do the settings in the Linking tab control?
- Controls how each toolpath pass is configured
- Controls how individual toolpath passes are connected
- Controls how the part is linked to an assembly
- Controls how fast the tool moves during the operation
Q25. When a toolpath pattern is created, what happens to the original toolpath?
- It is suppressed
- Multiple copies of the pattern are made under the active setup
- It is moved to a new Setup
- It is added to a pattern folder under the active setup
Q26. Which option in the Post Process dialog will enable the user to review the G-Code output automatically after clicking Post?
- Post preview
- Create NC Program
- Reorder to minimize tool changes
- Open NC file in editor
Q27. How does creating a derived operation from an existing one differ from duplicating that operation?
- The Duplicate option will copy the toolpath exactly to a new Setup within the same file while Derive will create a separate file with a template for a new part
- The Derive operation preserves parameter settings for a different toolpath type while Duplicate will make an exact copy of the same toolpath
- The Duplicate option preserves parameter settings for a different toolpath type while Derive will make an exact copy of the same toolpath
- The Derive option will copy the toolpath exactly to a new Setup within the same file while Duplicate will create a separate file with a template for a new part
Q28. When creating a Turning Face operation, what geometry must be selected?
- The front of the stock must be selected
- The front of the model must be selected
- The back of the model must be selected
- No geometry needs to be selected as the operation will automatically machine the stock from the Front plane
Q29. Which of the following Turning operations should be used to separate a fully finished part from the remaining stock base?
- Turning Profile Finishing
- Turning Thread
- Turning Part
- Turning Groove
Q30. Which command in the Manufacture workspace is used to convert the configured toolpaths into machine-specific codes?
- Post Process
- Setup Sheet
Get All Course Quiz Answers >>
The 3D Printing Revolution Coursera Quiz Answers
3D Printing Applications Coursera Quiz Answers
3D Printing Software Coursera Quiz Answers
3D Printing Hardware Coursera Quiz Answers